Re: [LUG] Computer shops and Linux

As much as the promotion of Linux is a good idea, and Linux is good product, but do we really want to see 100's of questions on this message or any other message board like...

My modem doesn't work.... and that being about the ounce of intelligence the people with the problem are likely to go to.....

Linux promotion is all well and good, but remeber people in general are thick ;)

Andrew Rogers wrote:

Paul Sutton wrote:

What happened to the thread on getting computer stores to promote Linux, it seems to have gone quiet

I took three weeks holiday for easter.

It's a coincidence that you should ask today though. I just sshed into my Uni machine this morning to download Knoppix 3.4, it's quicker on a Sunday since nobody is at Uni and I got 1MByte per second. Took about 12 minutes to download a CD ISO of knoppix.

I intend burning a CD and taking it to the shop in Plymouth. Knoppix, being a live CD, can run on one of their demo second user machines with no fuss of installing.

The Knoppix idea was mentioned in the previous thread, thanks for the suggestions.

These I summarised:

1) Posters and cards with URL to various Linux and newbie sites and the DCLUG.

2) A list on the DCLUG of useful URLs.

3) A list of Linux friendly shops on the DCLUG.

4) Donate some distros to the shop. Paul may already have some distros that were otherwise going to charity.

5) Burn off Knoppix and stick DCLUG address on them.

6) Posters, displayed in shops, of LUG events.

I don't have any labels for my CDRs so I will scribble the DCLUG URL on by hand for this pilot setup.

Thanks
Andrew