Re: [LUG] NFS + password?

Peter Walker wrote:

Same here.  I have 3 or 4 linux boxes and WinXP sharing files

I think Jonathon's question was is it secure enough to face random
strangers, not does it work.

It all depends on how smart you think the hackers in wireless range are
- but the Samba package has had several security alerts - my guess is
their goal is doing SMB better than Microsoft - rather than focusing on
making an invulnerable SMB server.

As I said the right way is VPN's the overhead is pretty small on modern
CPUs.

MAC addresses can be spoofed if you do the quick and dirty approach, but
again how smart are your drive-by hackers?