Re: [LUG] NFS + password?

Simon Waters wrote:

Peter Walker wrote:

Same here. I have 3 or 4 linux boxes and WinXP sharing files

I think Jonathon's question was is it secure enough to face random
strangers, not does it work.

Well, a bit of both. I've split the threads now to avoid confusion.

It all depends on how smart you think the hackers in wireless range are
- but the Samba package has had several security alerts - my guess is
their goal is doing SMB better than Microsoft - rather than focusing on
making an invulnerable SMB server.

As I said the right way is VPN's the overhead is pretty small on modern
CPUs.

I don't have a modern CPU ;-)

MAC addresses can be spoofed if you do the quick and dirty approach, but
again how smart are your drive-by hackers?

I know a very smart "war driver", although I reckon he wouldn't do anything malicious. I'm only really looking for a "good but easy" level of security.

Cheers,

Jon