Re: Oracle on Linux - was [LUG] The _real_ Andrew Pearce

On Thursday 26 February 2004 14:40, Simon Waters wrote:
John Daragon wrote:
My trouble is that I thought I understood Oracle (having installed 7 on
AIX 3.2...) but I don't.  And they've gone all java and objecty on me,
too.

The Java installer was a version 8 thing.

I was in the situation of needing a GUI (to point DISPLAY a to keep
Java's graphics happy whist the ASCII instaler ran) on a big HP servers
which only had an HP console to install - yuck.

Hee hee hee hee...

Sorry Oracle 8.1 was well into bloatware territory, minimal install
footprint of 1.3GB and even then it didn't include stuff that the
startup scripts were written to expect.

Somewhere in there is a really good, fast, small database waiting to
come out - but I think Oracle lost the plot.

Yup - nothing about this database that wouldn't be improved by the application
of 155 grains of copper-coated lead travelling somewhat above the speed of
sound. But perhaps I'm being a little grouchy.

(Never trust a language that doesn't have an unsigned integer)

Never trust a program written in a language without strong type checking ;)

And Operator Overload. What were they *on* when they thought that up ?

jd
--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK