Re: [LUG] NFS + password?

On Thursday 26 February 2004 08:25, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

snip

Is SMB a reasonable alternative?  I tried to set up a password-protected
read/write "share" on Samba for my user only, and added a user with
smbpasswd.  It mounts fine on my laptop, I can cd to the directory, but
when I do an "ls", it hangs the terminal :-(

Strange.  I've got a mixed network here - Linux / AIX / HPUX / NT and err...
Win95.  The file and print server is a RedHat 8.0 box running Samba. It's not
yet the primary domain controller for the MS stuff (though it'll have to be
one day because there isn't one at the moment.

Apart from the fact that NT's propensity to preserve but ignore case in
filenames occasionally gives us pause for thought, it's seamless. And it's
the easiest way I've yet found of printing from NT on a *IX printer.

jd
--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK