Re: [LUG] NFS + password?

John Daragon wrote:

On Thursday 26 February 2004 08:25, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

Is SMB a reasonable alternative? I tried to set up a password-protected
read/write "share" on Samba for my user only, and added a user with
smbpasswd. It mounts fine on my laptop, I can cd to the directory, but
when I do an "ls", it hangs the terminal :-(

Apart from the fact that NT's propensity to preserve but ignore case in filenames occasionally gives us pause for thought, it's seamless. And it's the easiest way I've yet found of printing from NT on a *IX printer.

Same here. I have 3 or 4 linux boxes and WinXP sharing files (and printer) quite happily. I do remember having a few problems in the past but the newer systems have worked out of the box. I use LinNeighbourhood on the desktop which works well for me.

Have you tried accessing the share with smbclient?

Cheers,

Pete