Re: [LUG] uptime oddity

On Tuesday 27 Jan 2004 5:40 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:
The biggest problem we have is that the fileserver has UPS the
gateway/firewall has UPS but none of the network switches are backed up! so
the network collapses anyway!

:-))
I know the feeling. I realised after I posted that my router only has a single
eth0 port, so keeping that running at the expense of the network switch is a
little pointless! The one advantage would be that the switch comes back to
life automatically while the router stays dead after a power cut - it
requires a manual reset from the front panel.

So if I'm around at the time of the power cut, I can change the cabling to
allow one box access to the internet.
If I'm not around at the time, I lose the network just for the time of the
power cut but I don't lose the internet connection itself, only the means to
access it. (!)

Looks like I'll need two male IEC -> mains socket leads. It could also be the
end of UPS power to the TFT panel! I can control most network services via
the laptop as long as each network component keeps running.

All that to save a few quid on the router - there's a lesson there.

Alternatively, in a dastardly plot, I could plug both the router and the
switch into the same male IEC -> female mains using a mains adaptor.

So that's 2xPC, 1xTFT 1x(router+switch). I can't see the router or switch as
requiring particularly significant power so that could work.

--

Neil Williams