[LUG] uptime oddity

Found this on the Linux Counter site:

http://counter.li.org/reports/uptimestats.php
The Linux kernel (at least up to 2.4.2) has a flaw: It computes the result of
the "uptime" based on the internal "jiffies" counter, which counts the time
since boot, in units of 10 milliseconds.
This is typecast as an "unsigned long" - on the Intel boxes, that's an
unsigned 32-bit number.
Well, it turns out that in a 32-bit number, you can store 497.1 days before
the number wraps.

I didn't know that so I thought I'd let you all know too.
:-))

(How many of us are actually on Linux Counter anyways?)
user #198210

--

Neil Williams