Re: [LUG] uptime oddity

On Tuesday 27 Jan 2004 1:03 am, David Johnson wrote:
On Tuesday 27 Jan 2004 12:29 am, Neil Williams wrote:
We seem to have a power cut every time our machines reach 100 days uptime
:-(

Not considered a UPS?

I don't have a fancy one that notifies the OS but it is sufficient to keep two
PC's running for about 15minutes. That copes with 99% of all power
cuts/brownouts that I've had in the last 4-5 years.

It also simplifies some of the cabling in the office - all the power leads go
to the UPS (2xPC,1xTFT,1xLP) which leaves more room on the extension bar to
the router, switch and speakers.

The UPS cannot protect my internet connection though - I might work on that
but I'd need to make my own cable from 3-pin mains female to kettle male -
the opposite of most kettle-type leads. (There's a proper name for those
leads but I don't know it!) Then I could replace the printer lead with the
router - far more useful as I rarely print anything.

Hmm, looks like another trip to Maplins.

--

Neil Williams