Re: [LUG] uptime oddity

I don't have a fancy one that notifies the OS but it is sufficient to keep
two PC's running for about 15minutes. That copes with 99% of all power
cuts/brownouts that I've had in the last 4-5 years.

The "SMART" type UPS's are sweet i run a 650VA on our fileserver, it is totaly
excessive and will run the system for 60 minutes ! the RS232 provides nice
feedback of remaining charge etc. notifies the kernel, emails people and
displays a nice html page of barchats.

Most of our blackouts are our of our own causing!

The biggest problem we have is that the fileserver has UPS the
gateway/firewall has UPS but none of the network switches are backed up! so
the network collapses anyway!

It also simplifies some of the cabling in the office - all the power leads
go to the UPS (2xPC,1xTFT,1xLP) which leaves more room on the extension bar
to the router, switch and speakers.

The UPS cannot protect my internet connection though - I might work on that
but I'd need to make my own cable from 3-pin mains female to kettle male -
the opposite of most kettle-type leads. (There's a proper name for those
leads but I don't know it!)

IEC power type connections.

Then I could replace the printer lead with the
router - far more useful as I rarely print anything.

Hmm, looks like another trip to Maplins.
They may have male IEC to distribution blocks premade, saves a bit of effort.

Regards

Robin