Re: [LUG] uptime oddity

On Tuesday 27 Jan 2004 12:29 am, Neil Williams wrote:
Found this on the Linux Counter site:

http://counter.li.org/reports/uptimestats.php
The Linux kernel (at least up to 2.4.2) has a flaw: It computes the result
of the "uptime" based on the internal "jiffies" counter, which counts the
time since boot, in units of 10 milliseconds.
 This is typecast as an "unsigned long" - on the Intel boxes, that's an
unsigned 32-bit number.
 Well, it turns out that in a 32-bit number, you can store 497.1 days
before the number wraps.

I didn't know that so I thought I'd let you all know too.

:-))

That's interesting... not that my machines ever get to run for that long. We
seem to have a power cut every time our machines reach 100 days uptime :-(

(How many of us are actually on Linux Counter anyways?)
user #198210

user #138150

Regards,
David.