Re: [LUG] Watching DVD's

On Sunday 18 Jan 2004 12:56 am, David Johnson wrote:
Do let the list know what other "inconveniences" you are having. I'm sure
there is someone who can help you.

I have Linux doing everything I need it to. Anything is possible, but it
does require (sometimes a lot of) effort. But the end result is worth it.

I agree but I don't always find time to read the howtos and don't want to
bother people if I haven't made the effort myself first.

A few inconveniences apart from running DVD's have been:

Getting Real Player and Shockwave/Flash and Java to work in my browser
(Mozilla 1.3 or Konqueror 3.1.0).

My children having to access non-standard educational sites that only seem to
work with IE.

I'm hoping to upgrade my scanner to a higher res with 48 bit scanning but
don't think that the Gimp can take advantage of this. (It's useful initially
to use all these bits when using levels and curves.) Also Gimp doesn't have
adjustment layers (Yet?).

Does anyone buy boxed versions from Mandrake and, if so, do they solve the
DVD, RealPlayer and Shockwave issues? It does suggest they do on their
website. Also has anyone tried the Win4Lin and VMWare they offer with these
packages?

All the best,
Peter.