Re: [LUG] Watching DVD's

On Sunday 18 Jan 2004 12:02 am, Peter Butterfield wrote:
I use Mandrake 9.1 and have tried a few different DVD playing solutions.
I've only been able to get Time Bandits to work. Recently I tried Ogle but
can't set it up properly. I'm not going to try anything else at the moment
as it's distracting me from working! I would be happy to pay a reasonable
sum for a working solution to this and some other minor inconveniences of
Linux but don't think they are available from the likes of Mandrake - well
it's not that clear. Am I wrong?

I don't know about 9.1, but Mandrake 9.2 comes with MPlayer on the CDs. I use
MPlayer for playing DVDs and it's great. It will play almost any video format
and DVDs just work.
I don't actually use the RPMs that come with Mandrake (I compile my own) but I
should imagine that they work.
If 9.1 doesn't come with MPlayer, compiling it yourself isn't actually as
difficult as it sounds...
Do let the list know what other "inconveniences" you are having. I'm sure
there is someone who can help you.

I have Linux doing everything I need it to. Anything is possible, but it does
require (sometimes a lot of) effort. But the end result is worth it.

I had to use IE on Win98 to look up something on the internet this
afternoon. It fell over. Sad really, sobbing in a heap on the desktop -
which then joined it until I put them out of their misery with a double
three-fingered salute.

Sounds familiar. I ran Windows XP for 2 minutes yestartday, and in that time
it contracted two viruses. Pathetic really. I only ever run it under VMWare
anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

Unfortunately I have to use MS Access for Uni, otherwise I would be able to
run Linux exclusively.
I won't even go into how much I hate Access...

Regards,
David.