Re: [LUG] Scottish libraries lending OpenOffice Cds

On Tuesday 23 Dec 2003 10:40 am, Brough, Tom wrote:
> >So it's copies to libraries and every school in D+C ?

It's worth remembering that schools are among the biggest buisnesses around
these parts - often up to 1000 students and 50+ staff. Our local comp has an
IT administrator of unusually high talent (we hope he doesn't cotton on and
leave for higher paid employment). They are very much locked into contracts
and big changes could be a nightmare even with competent staff.

On the basis that many children in school haven't got access to computers, it
would be interesting if computer packages complete with affordable software
could be made available. But it is that compatibility problem that arises
when internet links don't open properly, or multimedia files from educational
publishers don't run that is still an issue.

It would also be interesting if the servers in schools could at least be
running linux but that is not my expertise.

All the best, Peter.