[LUG] suse 9 problems.

I downloaded the first 2 cd's so that I could perform a minimal install with
KDE.

I Intened to add an ftp server to point to a source so that I could then
download whatever packages I would like to add.
Trouble is whatever ftp site I add eg. ftp.suse.com
and then a directory, /pub/suse/i386/current/suse/i586 it wont add the
directory at all saying it's not a valid installation path.
Also although my sound card is recognized (AC97 on board)suse says the
joystick port is not supported even though 8.2 has no problems setting it up
at all.
The printer won't configure due to the parrellel port not being detected.

anyone else had problems ?

I am tempted to just wipe this and go back to 8.2 because I was hoping to just
give it a try this way before shelling out.

Ray