Re: [LUG] k_athlon security update takes out Nvidia 3D

On Sunday 07 December 2003 9:57 pm, Keith Abraham wrote:
> Thanks Robin
> 	I'll look into your suggestion tomorrow morning.
> 	Although I see from my log book that I did an uninstall
> 	of the nvidia driver so there ain't much hope of nvidia.o
> 	remaining on the system.
>
> Keith
>
> On Sunday 07 December 2003 4:41 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> > > I've updated my kernel to k_athlon-2.4.20-101 on my SuSE 8.2
> > > system. Since then I've lost Nvidia 3D acceleration and I
> > > can't reinstall the driver due to the lack of a precompiled kernel.
> >
> > i fudge that can *sometimes* work is to copy the old nvidia module
> > (nvidia.o) from your old kernel modules directory
> > /lib/modules/youroldkernelname to your new kernel modules directory
> > /lib/modules/newkernelname, in those directories somewhere under
> > drivers/video/ or somthing (have a hunt) you will find a nvidia.o copy it
> > accross then have a go at modprobing it to see if it is compatable
> > ("modprobe nvidia.o").
> >
> > if module was build with modversions then it will work or inform you it
> > is not correct) if not it will either work or do somthing nasty! (like a
> > ooops). Worth a try instead of a 2 and a bit hour download.
> >
> > Robin

I couldn't find nvidia.o so I guess it was taken out when I
uninstalled the nvidia driver.

I downloaded the kernel sources overnight and configed
them as per the instructions in the nvidia-installer HOWTO
(it's in the /supplementary/X/XFree86/ section on ftp.suse.com).

The nvidia driver then installed without problems.

To some extent I agree with Kai. A working system should not
be disrupted after initiating a security update so I'll mail SuSE and
Nvidia to that effect.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM,
Maxtor 20GB HD and using KDE's Kmail