Re: [LUG] NFS, /etc/resolv.conf rather odd connection.

On Friday 07 Nov 2003 12:11 am, Andrew Rogers wrote:

> All entries in /etc/resolv.conf were check with nslookup and only
> 127.0.0.1 failed. Should the loopback appear in /etc/resolv.conf? If I

127.0.0.1 should still work:
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa  name = localhost
but it depends on the correct DNS file:

/etc/named.conf may be missing these lines:
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

Make sure named.local is available, different distros put it in different
places. Look for the directory option in /etc/named.conf - you'll need
something like this for 127.0.0.1 to resolve.

> What I am now wondering is that the DNS may do a lookup but not a
> reverse lookup, a reverse lookup was mentioned earlier. I'll investigate.

I wouldn't think it is necessarily the fault of the Uni DNS - most setups
would assume that the localhost is working.

--

Neil Williams