Re: [LUG] NFS, /etc/resolv.conf rather odd connection.

Andrew Rogers wrote:

Neil Stone wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

On Thursday 06 Nov 2003 10:05 pm, Neil Stone wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

On Thursday 06 Nov 2003 8:19 pm, Andrew Rogers wrote:

behaves perfectly with no long delays.

DNS timeout?

the machine was unable to contact its default route... stupid or what ?

Same thought was in the back of my mind.

Check the route on the machine trying to export the NFS mount.

A bad gateway setting would cause the DNS to timeout. Removing /etc/resolv.conf only solves the problem by preventing NFS from using DNS.

As you said, Andrew:
I known that from a previous setup incorrect DNS servers cause this problem.

The problem is finding out which bit of the DNS setup is missing/failing.

Er.. use nslookup....

Ensure that both the NFS client and server are able to reach their default route, try pinging it.. (run "route -n")

All entries in /etc/resolv.conf were check with nslookup and only 127.0.0.1 failed. Should the loopback appear in /etc/resolv.conf? If I run nslookup without specifying a DNS the nslookup suceeds because a valid DNS is chosen automatically.

What I am now wondering is that the DNS may do a lookup but not a reverse lookup, a reverse lookup was mentioned earlier. I'll investigate.

Thanks
Andrew

$ nslookup 10.0.0.21

Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 127.0.0.1, trying next server
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 141.163.246.2, trying next server
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 141.163.66.109, trying next server
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 141.163.246.3, trying next server

Now that's interesting.

On my home computer

$ nslookup 10.0.0.21

Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server:         213.162.97.253
Address:        213.162.97.253#53

** server can't find 21.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

It would appear to be a problem with the Uni's DNS.

Thanks
Andrew