Re: [LUG] NFS, /etc/resolv.conf rather odd connection.

Neil Williams wrote:

On Thursday 06 Nov 2003 10:05 pm, Neil Stone wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

On Thursday 06 Nov 2003 8:19 pm, Andrew Rogers wrote:

behaves perfectly with no long delays.

DNS timeout?

the machine was unable to contact its default route... stupid or what ?

Same thought was in the back of my mind.

Check the route on the machine trying to export the NFS mount.

A bad gateway setting would cause the DNS to timeout. Removing /etc/resolv.conf only solves the problem by preventing NFS from using DNS.

As you said, Andrew:
I known that from a previous setup incorrect DNS servers cause this problem.

The problem is finding out which bit of the DNS setup is missing/failing.

I'm not 100% sure what to look for regarding the default route. Is this hidden /proc somewhere? The closest thing I could find is the file /etc/sysconfig/network which on a different 'pooter contains:

NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"
HOSTNAME=PC1.HOME
DOMAINNAME=HOME
GATEWAY="10.0.0.2"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

but on the NFS server:

NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

There's no GATEWAY but I can access webpages from the Internet from the NFS server so can I assume that the default route is O.K? What is the difference between GATEWAY and default route, if any? As I said above I'm not 100% sure what the default route is.

My IP address is assigned by a DHCP server and begins 141.163. so its an Internet IP and not a private 192.168. or 10. address. Should it have a default route?

/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases contains an 'option routers' argument, which /proc or /etc file would this get stored in?

Thanks
Andrew