Re: [LUG] Networking hell - sorted

On Wednesday 20 Aug 2003 11:50 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >>Duplex/half duplex/auto settings
> >
> > Auto - supposed to be full duplex.
>
> Force it everywhere* if you see any issues like speed, or duplex (and
> you said the speed was wrong).

Turned out to be an old NIC. I replaced the card, checked the port connections
and the Cat5 to the router was plugged into an uplink port instead of an
ordinary port. The router downgrades this uplink port to 10MBit. The switch
copes with the auto-uplink setting and I now get 100MBit across the entire
LAN (with the sole exception of an old ISA NIC that I can't get to 100MBit.)

> I remember when autonegotiate was less reliable that plug and pray ;)
>
>  Simon
>
> *So that is on laptop, on switch ports, on router.... but make sure the
> same value is supported by all the relevant hardware.

Problem is that not all the hardware seemed to have the configuration tools to
force a new setting, the router in particular only implements a limited
configuration panel.

--

Neil Williams