[LUG] Networking hell

After the problems I had with the 8port switch that only had 6 working ports
at the Uni meeting, I got a refund on that one and bought a different one.

I now have problems getting the workstation to see the router.

I have one Cat5 travelling upstairs from the router. I plugged that into the
switch and the workstation Cat5 also went into the switch. No dice.

The port lights come on OK (so the uplink port detection is working) and I've
replaced each cable in turn. It only works when I take the switch out of the
LAN and replace it with the original hub.

ISDN -> router -> switch -> workstation      Failed.
ISDN -> router -> hub -> workstation          Fine.

It's not a problem seeing the ISDN, I can't ping the router when the switch
isn't operating - host unreachable.

What gives?

--

Neil Williams