Re: [LUG] Comments on Opensource solution providers

On Friday 02 May 2003 17:27, Neil Williams wrote:
> English Lit. is for the museum. English Lang. is for the Court. A website
> needs to be understandable not high grammar.

Erm, sorry but since when was Eng. Lit and/or Lang intrinsically related to
"high grammar"? One of the main focuses of English Language (as an academic
subject) is writing appropriately to your audience, which as far as I'm
concerned is exactly what you're talking about here!

Saying that English as a subject only creates convoluted, over-complex
language is akin to looking at obfuscated code and relating all programming
to that. Or perhaps badging all Linux' as being as user friendly as, say,
Slackware. Perhaps not the best examples but I'm sure you can see my point.

I shall spare you the long ant about this here - not least because it's
completely OT!

Dan

--

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

	-- Salvor Hardin