Re: [LUG] Comments on Opensource solution providers

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:30:08PM +0100, Rick Timmis wrote:
> tramp who has is well qualified in english lit and language. She will be
> reviewing the site shortly and her word is Law.

Do remember the medium of the web is not the same as an english lit.
essay. Read useit.com

> Code of Conduct.
> We do not insist on support or maintenance contracts and we do not tie
> clients into agreements or any kind of covert locking agreements. Infact
> we do just the opposite.

Well, that is something. No tie ins. But tie ins that I was thinking of
usually do not come in the form of agreements(ok, maybe a TOS or EULA or
some other STUPID click through).  They are more so implied through the
vendor's software development. E.g.  not releasing the source to their
customer.
What is the opposite? No agreement?

> Our code of conduct is:-
> Create Satisfied customers by offering 1st class customer service,
> Straight Talking unbiased advice and Solutions that really work.

Well, we all know what that is. Hot air. I wanted to hear something a
little different. :) Put it sounds like a sales pitch most people will
quickly get their heads around.

> The way I see it that ought to do it ;-)

After thinking about it, a code of conduct needs standards. And they are
all in the works atm...

However I do agree with Adrian, it would make a good story for
Slashdot. I guess I will have to submit it someday.

Opensource solution providers are on fresh territory.

I am keen to follow ST's progress. Might write a paper on it. After all,
I am a Computer Scientist foremost, with minors in management and
mathematics. :P

-Kai