Re: [LUG] New to list

I thought the advantage of South Pembs would be being close
enough to Swansea to join the a.n.other LUG, but you are very
welcome.

So did I, and there are two groups: West Wales LUG and the South Wales one. I have
joined the West Wales group,based in Aberystwyth, and the list is very quiet.
Being without a car means that LUG action for me is exclusively online for the time
being. I happened upon DCLUG and related website while looking for reviews of
Smoothwall, took a peek at the mailing list, and here am I.

Making contact with the South Wales group is proving not so easy. I persevere, but
also
wonder about setting up a more local LUG. Distances are amplified 'round here by
rural
infrastructure (manyana), personal transport limitations (foot, bicycle,thumb) and
big
hills.

I'm doing bits and bobs of voluntary tech support for some local charities, and
there
are always problems that could be solved better by Free Software. I'm coming across
quite a few Linux-curious folk too (hence my wish to install a more 'user friendly',
demonstration-purposes distro on my laptop), as well as those who don't really know
Free Software from freeware/shareware, but to whom it is often worth taking the time
explain these things. A local LUG for local people would be great, but beyond my
scope
at the mo'.

Still, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the words about Suse- maybe I should
stick
with Debian, after all.

Graham