[LUG] New to list

Hello All!

It wasn't until after posting last night that I realised I hadn't yet de-lurked
myself
on this list. I'm posting from across the water in South Pembs, where I'm on
extended
leave from work, and spending much of my time with The Penguin. I've been using
Linux
now for about 18 months, first RedHat and now for the past year, Debian.

I can only speak for myself, but so many things about this OS strike me with the
same
intuition: "Cor, this is not far off how its supposed to be!". That said, I would
like to try out other distros, particularly on the laptop that was loaned to me last
month. I've had headaches getting X to work with the Intel i830 graphics chip on
said laptop,
manufactured by Ergo (who haven't replied to my email yet) but I have heard that
SuSE
is pretty good at  hardware recognition. Basically I'm after convenience - I just
want the laptop to work without too much faff, so I can get on with the tinkering
thing
on my desktop machine. Any ideas?

As for the desktop machine, I'm looking into Linux from Scratch. Can anyone share
any
experiences of this distribution, especially from the point of view of maintaining
it,
once the basic system has been installed?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, and I hope you don't mind posts from (not too)
afar!

Graham