Re: [LUG] APACHE - SAMBA

Should not be any problems with running the 2 services together. RE Samba this has proved a problem for me also. I can get Win2k to see the samba share, provided they are not logged onto the domain. However Win 98 will not play. On our ST system the Win98 machines can see the samba share but are denied access. On my home system 98 can;t see it at all, but I think thats another problem.

My reading so far points me in the direction of encrypted passwords. There are two methods to overcome this. 1 Set samba to use encrypted passwords, ( Incidentally it says in the MAN pages see ENCRYPTION.TXT, which I can;t find) or alternatively turn off password encryption in the 98 registry.

try this link for more in

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

I still haven't got complete functionality out of Samba, but I have got something workable so It has become a lower priority. Let me know how you get on.

Rick

Peter Walker wrote:

psutton said:

Is it practical to have both Apache and samba running on the same system,

Yes. There shouldn't be any problems because of Apache. I have a system set up like that which makes it very convenient when writing web pages on a PC.

What errors are you getting from SAMBA?

Pete

-- Regards and Best wishes

Rick Timmis
rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I.T Manager

Super Tramp Ltd:
Super Tramp run their IT systems exclusively on Red Hat Linux and Open Source
Software.
For further information on how free software can benefit your business visit
http://www.redhat.com