Re: [LUG] APACHE - SAMBA

I still haven't got complete functionality out of Samba, but I have got
something workable so It has become a lower priority. Let me know how
you get on.

Around here in the Red Book there is some advice

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/SG246004.html?Open

and here

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/esdd/tutorials/samba/samba-2-11.html
(page 11 of 12)
There is tutorial 1 and 4 as well.

Samba Shares
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/samba3.html

One Samba problem with W98 and after.
the client is sending encrypted passwords instead of plaintext passwords. You
can remedy this situation by performing two steps on the Samba server. First,
add the following entry to the [global] section of your Samba configuration
file: encrypt password=yes. Second, find the smbpasswd program on the samba
server (it is located in /usr/local/samba/bin by default) and use it to add
an entry to Samba's encrypted password database. For example, to add user
steve to Samba's encrypted password database, type smbpasswd -a steve. The
first time you enter this password, the program will output an error message
indicating that the password database does not exist; it will then create the
database, which is typically stored in /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
Samba FAQ with how-to Urls in it
http://de.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/samba-pdc-faq.html#AEN12

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley