Re: [LUG] Recycle please!!!! was: venuesfor meetings,

Right, I will put a 486 desktop machine (Unit only) into the raffle as well, Saves chucking it in the bin

Rick

Brough, Tom wrote:

>Why, only the other day I threw out a 486 that may well have had
working >comonents in it...
-- >From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley

I just wish you had not said that ........ :-(

You can always find something useful to do with a 486. Just recently I sent
a 386 laptop (640x480x16 mono) with 4Mb (25Mhz) 80Mb HDD. Only had Slackware
3.3 (console mode) to my inlaws in the philippines and my inlaws where
nearly fighting over who was going to have it. They couldnt work out how to
open the flip panel but thats another story (extreme remote tech support
from 6000 miles) .....

Planning to send 8 system units of various generations (386 to pentium) some
time next year. Speed and features are nice to have but not an issue in the
Philippines,  access to functional technology on the other hand is. Who
cares if it is joe or kword they both function as wordprocessors, and you
can learn the basics. IMO its nice to get away from the distraction of
fonts,sizes, styles etc and concentrate on writing the (content of)
documents.

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.

This email has been virus checked by the Eclipse Internet MAILsafe service
www: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/ email: eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ******************************************************************************

-- Regards and Best wishes

Rick Timmis
rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I.T Manager

Super Tramp Ltd:
Super Tramp run their IT systems exclusively on Red Hat Linux and Open Source
Software.
For further information on how free software can benefit your business visit
http://www.redhat.com