Re: [LUG] NTP Server Newbie help

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 12:50, Richy.fennell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks
It is running as an ntp client But how do i set the Linux NTP box as an NTP
server, is it in the NTP.conf?

ntpd is the server (ntpdate is usually used if you just want a client) -
it reads /etc/ntp.conf to get its time servers etc. There you be a *lot*
of documentation under /usr/share/doc/ntp-version try quick.htm for the
basic setup.

If you've got times servers in ntp.conf and the demon is running
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd start or whatever the mandrake equivalent is)
then there shouldn't be too much more to it, though it can get very
complicated if you want it to (I presume you just want syned time on
your network rather than anything mega time critical).

Theres a util called ntpq you can use to check your server use ntpq
server.ip then type readlist at the prompt - this returns a bunch of
info abouth the server - you can also type help in the time honoured
fashion.

I cannot find any docs about this online :(

http://noc.cv.ua/cgi-bin/man.cgi?CMD=ntpd&SECT=8

but they should all be there under /usr/share/doc - I know this (my) box
doesn't have the man pages for some reason
I can configure the other boxes as clients its the server config thats
confused me :)

It looks a whole lot more confusing than it really is - it gets very
technical but mostly you just don't need that stuff (unless your
palnning to hook your server straight to an atominc clock via the serial
port :D

Paul M
--
Paul M <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>