Re: [LUG] pdflatex and ps2pdf problems

kam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 09:57:58PM +0000, Andrew Rogers wrote:
pdflatex problem:
Can't get it to work with EPS figures.

AFAIK pdflatex will only accept jpegs and pnp figures. The problem I think
is that eps is  basically just raw postscript, in fact yes, I've written
postscript code and had it incorporated in latex documents you just have
to hack the bounding box parameters and give the file an *.eps extension.
This is fine if you're generating postscript output, problem is the
pdf viewer can't understand native postscript, so *.eps files which are
just slotted into the output file can't be interpreted. You may be able
to transform your figures from eps to jpegs with gimp or somesuch.

If anyone knows another way round this problem I'd be interested to
know.

KAM

With Steve Marvell's help (see earlier post to this list) I managed to
solve this problem.

Here's the relevant bits form my LaTeX source file:
\usepackage{epsfig}

\begin{figure}
  \centering
  \epsfig{file=/home/andrew/MSc/BarCode}
\end{figure}

The BarCode.eps file is an eps file with the extension .eps, in the
source file.tex no extension is required.

I just do these commands

latex file.tex
dvipdfm file.dvi

Use dvipdfm, not dvipdf, note the 'm'.