RE: [LUG] hi there!!!

> hi there!!!

Howdy !

> mine name's kev and am a new list member.

Mines Neil, and i've been a member for a while !

> just wondering a couple of things,

mmm....

> how many users are on this list roughly? - and how many are from plymouth?

Well, i know That i live in plymouth at the moment, originally from Exeter
tho !

> i have been running linux at home since jan 2000 and see a
> fantastic future for it.  after programming databases on UNIX machines for
a few years i
> changed to using windows servers after moving back down from london and i
> have been amazed at their instability.  we currently write
> applications using VB which run on users desktop machines - but these keep
falling
> over as well, losing their settings, forgetting what the time is etc.
>
> to be fair the windows 2000 advanced server has not been too bad
> - but 4k for a single license + 7k for the SQL server license (and don't
> forget the client access licenses) is a bit much!
>
> i am currently requesting a couple of thin client terminals for
> testing and see this as the way forward for business users.
>
> what i'd like to know is this:
> are we a very few who have 'seen a better way' - or is there a huge linux
> community beavering away at honing the OS and apps waiting for our time?
>
> on a more technical note - could anyone give me some advice on the best
> ipchains settings for a server which is running the squid proxy
> server.  what is the best way to allow the DNS servers to return their
result?
> my current setup is that all ip packets are DENY'd - and i only allow in
> packets which i need - but i seem to be getting a lot of packets trying to
get in with
> different destination port numbers.

well i udes a little application called EasyTables (uses iptables) to set up
the network firewall and internet sharing on my server, the writer also has
written EasyChains, similar idea, uses ipchains tho ! I found it while on
sourceforce.net looking for a firewall, works quite well, you can close off
a whole load of ports, and leave others open (if you want to !)

Hope this helps, any other questions feel free to ask away !! (i do)

TTFN

Neil Stone