[LUG] hi there!!!

hi there!!!

mine name's kev and am a new list member.

just wondering a couple of things,

how many users are on this list roughly? - and how many are from plymouth?

i have been running linux at home since jan 2000 and see a fantastic future
for it.  after programming databases on UNIX machines for a few years i
changed to using windows servers after moving back down from london and i
have been amazed at their instability.  we currently write applications using
VB which run on users desktop machines - but these keep falling over as well,
losing their settings, forgetting what the time is etc.

to be fair the windows 2000 advanced server has not been too bad - but 4k for
a single license + 7k for the SQL server license (and don't forget the client
access licenses) is a bit much!

i am currently requesting a couple of thin client terminals for testing and
see this as the way forward for business users.

what i'd like to know is this:
are we a very few who have 'seen a better way' - or is there a huge linux
community beavering away at honing the OS and apps waiting for our time?

on a more technical note - could anyone give me some advice on the best
ipchains settings for a server which is running the squid proxy server.  what
is the best way to allow the DNS servers to return their result?  my current
setup is that all ip packets are DENY'd - and i only allow in packets which i
need - but i seem to be getting a lot of packets trying to get in with
different destination port numbers.

looking forward to hearing from you,

kevin bailey