Re: [LUG] Library services.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:39:28PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> This is not exactly 100% Linux but what I would like to propose to torbay
> council does involve using Linux in some capacity, or at least free
> software.

> The latter is a better solution partly because it's free, but it's easier to
> lock down the desktop, and prevent users changing things, around,  this can
> be done with windows but at extra expense,

Under Linux you can run Star Office directly on the x desktop,
that is without a window manager, SO manages it's own windows. There's
not usually much advantage, unless you're really pushed for resources,
but it would certainly stop the end user from mucking about with the
settings, at least so long as they didn't know about Ctl-Alt-F1 etc.
The Star Office web browser is quite nice too IMHO.

> One of the problems I have faced with this type of suggestion is that it's
> technical and too technical for most of the people who make these kind of
> decisions,

True, selling points would be (a) price, (b) stability and (c) local tech
support so any £££ they do spend circulate in the local economy. Worth a
try anyway, the more often you plug the message the better the chances that
it will eventually get through.

> What sort of services do other libraries provide,  for customers.
Much as you describe AFAIK

Keith