Re: [LUG] Library services.

Paul Sutton wrote:

>   There was an article in my local paper yesterday about Torbay council not
> having enough money for libraries.   Mainly to buy books,  this got me
> thinking about their computer provision,  this is mainly computers with this
> DS safety net thing on,  for the internet (I think this is somesort of front
> end to IE but I am not sure).   The computers can also be used to check what
> books are in,  where they are and reserve books etc. II am not exactly sure
> where their software ends, and safety net starts, I think it's just for the
> web and looking up information which is stored as html pages.
>
>     I was thinking that as Exeter library provide desktop pc's running
> office Torbay council to do the same but running Windows / star office or
> Linux / star office.

I looked at the Exeter library stuff once, a while back, much of
it was made possible by private donation so the raw cost is
fairly low.

I did offer them a IE lockdown product I resold at the time, but
never found the right person, or couldn't raise any interest.

The IE lockdown stuff was rock bottom discount for
libraries.....

Look up the "EARL" project for more on electronic libraries.
There is an "Ask a librarian" site somewhere, where you can ask
a librarian to help you look something up. So next time your
stuck configuring Xfree86 you know where to go *8-)

	 Simon

Benchmarking today;

hdparm -t
Shows; "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda1" gets me nearly 8MB/s where as
"hdparm -d0 /dev/hda1" gets me less than 3MB/s ...

Alas for most the default is one, and performance is near
optimum, but hey it's worth checking "hdparm /dev/hda1" - but be
careful and RTFM.