Re: [LUG] Red Hat 7.2 - First impressions.

Ext3/ReiserFS

I'm not sure these are comparable systems.  From what I can see ext3 is
basically ext2 with journaling and reiser is, well let the precis from
freshmeat tell you:

"reiserfs is a revolutionary new approach to file system design which
stores not just filenames but the files themselves in a B*-tree. It is a
generation ahead of alternatives which use older plain B-tree technology,
and cannot store the files themselves in the tree. Reiserfs doesn't suffer
from log congestion either, you can effectively use it for quickly
creating a 100,000 entry directory, and it is fairly unique in that. "

Not being a filesystem hack, most of that means fairly little to me
though.

There's even a free implementation of VxFS in the kernel now, which the
commercial version of is lots of money afair.

I think Red Hat has more of a reputation for incluing the more (b)leading
edge stuff in their distro, especially compared to say debian, who I hear
are still not using a 2.4 kernel in their next release!