Re: [LUG] Red Hat 7.2 - First impressions.

On 24-Oct-2001 at 13:33:37 Alex Charrett wrote:
> Ext3/ReiserFS
>
> I'm not sure these are comparable systems.  From what I can see ext3 is
> basically ext2 with journaling and reiser is, well let the precis from
> freshmeat tell you:

I stand corrected! :-)

> I think Red Hat has more of a reputation for incluing the more (b)leading
> edge stuff in their distro, especially compared to say debian, who I hear
> are still not using a 2.4 kernel in their next release!

I would agree about RH, and I think I may well retract some comments. If
anything I guess it is a good step of them to include support for ext3 as a
way of introducing it into the public arena (as opposed to those who built
it into their systems by hand). I was/am wary of them introducing it as a
replacement of ext2 without any recourse back to ext2 should it fail. Time
will tell.

I note the recent comments on 75MB of 7.2 updates - perhaps RH will release
7.2.1? :-) Or maybe the linux emporioum will release a patch cd - either way
its a lot of stuff to download.

John.