Re: [LUG] Red Hat 7.2 - First impressions.

On 23-Oct-2001 at 20:31:14 Alex Charrett wrote:
> It has also occoured to me that while the default RH 7.2 kernel supports
> ext3, the release kernels still don't.  Therefore I very much reccomend
> that you do not install on ext3 if you are likley to want to roll you own
> kernel.  You can of course get the appropriate ext3 patches, but its a bit
> of a pain.

(Catching up on emails...) I think this goes back to a previous message
where it was said that Alan Cox was doing the more 'risky' changes. My first
thought to that was what was meant by 'risky' but I don't follow all the
kernel changes so I let that go :-)

I would have said that a new file system was probably one of the most risky
things to happen - what if it goes wrong :-) (Albeit that the 2.4.11 kernel
was obviously risky in this respect too!) In the light of that I would have
thought RedHat would wait until ext3 is included in the kernels rather than
to some extent restricting people to their own kernel builds  - unless you
want to fiddle with kernel patches, etc as you suggest.

I'm also surprised since reiserFS seems to be more talked about that ext3,
which I heard about some time ago (ext3) but nothing since really. Whereas
reiserFS seems to have taken off a bit more than ext3. RedHat may well have
done their tests with ext3, but why aren't other people using it then
instead of reiserFS?

Thanks for the message alex as I was about to order a copy of RH7.2, but I
think I may just leave it for a while and see how it goes :-)

BTW, kernel 2.4.13 is available on the kernel.org site but not on the
UK mirror when I looked this morning. I originally had 2.4.10 installed on a
server, fortunately skipped 2.4.11, but when I looked again there was 2.4.12!
Now we have 2.4.13 in a very short space of time! A boy just can't keep up
with these things! :-)

John.