Re: [LUG] email across a LAN

On Friday 12 October 2001  1:09 am, Simon Waters wrote about Re: [LUG] email
across a LAN:

> Thus "ping mandrake.codehelp" works, and doesn't have to use
> it's search path or domain from /etc/resolv.conf.....

ping does work, but how do I tell if it's searching from /etc/resolv.conf?
Mine is had:
search codehelp
nameserver 192.168.0.2
I removed each in turn using Linuxconf and now it's blank. No change.
I've re-instated resolv.conf

> > (And I'm still getting dropped mail - mail that is not bounced back to me
> > but never arrives at the destination. Some is deliberately awkward -
> > testing the install - like neil@xxxxxxxxxxx - should that work? (It
> > doesn't.)
>
> Yes - if neil exists, and IP networking issues are okay.
>
> Hmm not bounced? No mail to postmaster either? You do have a
> postmaster alias?

Actually, it just seemed to be an extreme delay - until I logged out and
logged back in. Then I got the bounced messages.

> > I must have sent 50 messages to and from neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
>
> That's not in "mydestinations"
postconf reports:
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
is that correct? That should give mandrake.codehelp and localhost.codehelp

> How are the remote machines configured? What is in the mail
> queue on them? What error is listed against them?

Name service error for domain linux.codehelp: host not found

> Don't try repeated messages - try and understand what it is
> doing. Watch the queue. Try emulating the SMTP session with
> telnet.....
>
> Type this - assuming the prompts keep coming up without
> errors.....
>
> telnet mandrake.codehelp 25
> helo mandrake.codehelp
> mail from: neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> rcpt to: neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> data
> Hello
> ..

No change. Works fine for mail sent from and to the same machine. Mail sent
from a telnet connection to linux back to mandrake, never arrives:
telnet linux.codehelp 25
helo mandrake.codehelp
mail from: neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rcpt to: neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
data
any
..
quit

Generates an undelivered message on linux.codehelp

However, maybe there is a clue here. When I tried to use neil@xxxxxxxxxxx, I
got no mail but the modem suddenly dialled out!

--

Neil Williams