Re: [LUG] email across a LAN

On Thursday 11 October 2001  7:26 pm, Simon Waters wrote about Re: [LUG]
email across a LAN:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > Do I need to configure Postfix to recognise the hosts on the LAN?
>
> Usually yes, any machine receiving mail has to know it's own
> name. Similarly if postfix is to relay mail for these clients
> they want to go in "my_networks".

>From main.cf:
myhostname = mandrake.codehelp
mydomain = codehelp
myorigin = $myhostname
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
(These, I believe are the defaults. At least, when these are commented out,
there is no difference to the hosts named in the headers.)

mynetworks = 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.4

Don't work.

I've tried
mynetworks = linux
mynetworks = linux.codehelp
mynetworks = 192.168.0.2

(And I'm still getting dropped mail - mail that is not bounced back to me but
never arrives at the destination. Some is deliberately awkward - testing the
install - like neil@xxxxxxxxxxx - should that work? (It doesn't.) That
main.cf file started off as almost entirely comments. No sample-xxx files
where found.)

I must have sent 50 messages to and from neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx NONE have arrived unless
sent from the same machine as the destination. Only 50% have been bounced.

What's happening?
(lots of comments removed from the file)

# Global Postfix configuration file. This file lists only a subset
# of all 100+ parameters. See the sample-xxx.cf files for a full list.
# LOCAL PATHNAME INFORMATION
# The command_directory parameter specifies the location of all
# postXXX commands.  The default value is $program_directory.
#
command_directory = /usr/sbin

# The daemon_directory parameter specifies the location of all Postfix
# daemon programs (i.e. programs listed in the master.cf file). The
# default value is $program_directory. This directory must be owned
# by root.
#
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix

# QUEUE AND PROCESS OWNERSHIP
default_privs = nobody

# INTERNET HOST AND DOMAIN NAMES
#myhostname = host.domain.name
#myhostname = virtual.domain.name
#myhostname = mandrake.codehelp
#mydomain = domain.name
#mydomain = codehelp

# SENDING MAIL
#
#myorigin = $myhostname
#myorigin = $mydomain
#myorigin = $myhostname

# RECEIVING MAIL
#
#inet_interfaces = all
#inet_interfaces = $myhostname
#inet_interfaces =

# The mydestination parameter specifies the list of domains that this
# machine considers itself the final destination for. That does not
# include domains that are hosted on this machine. Those domains are
# specified elsewhere (see sample-virtual.cf, and sample-transport.cf).
#
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
#mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
#	mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain

# REJECTING UNKNOWN LOCAL USERS
#local_recipient_maps = $alias_maps unix:passwd.byname

# ADDRESS REWRITING
# ADDRESS REDIRECTION (VIRTUAL DOMAIN)

# "USER HAS MOVED" BOUNCE MESSAGES

# TRANSPORT MAP

# ALIAS DATABASE
#
#alias_maps = dbm:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
#alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, nis:mail.aliases
#alias_maps = netinfo:/aliases

#
#alias_database = dbm:/etc/aliases
#alias_database = dbm:/etc/mail/aliases
#alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
#alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/opt/majordomo/aliases

# ADDRESS EXTENSIONS (e.g., user+foo)
# recipient_delimiter = +

# DELIVERY TO MAILBOX
#home_mailbox = Mailbox
#home_mailbox = Maildir/

# mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail

#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail
#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME
#mailbox_transport = cyrus

#
#fallback_transport =
# luser_relay = $user@xxxxxxxxxx
# luser_relay = $local@xxxxxxxxxx
# luser_relay = admin+$local

# JUNK MAIL CONTROLS
#header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/filename
#header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/filename

# In addition to the above, the Postfix SMTP server by default accepts mail
# that Postfix is final destination for:
# - destinations that match $inet_interfaces,
# - destinations that match $mydestination
# - destinations that match $virtual_maps.
# These destinations do not need to be listed in $relay_domains.
# NOTE: Postfix will not automatically forward mail for domains that
# list this system as their primary or backup MX host. See the
# permit_mx_backup restriction in the file sample-smtpd.cf.
#
#relay_domains = $mydestination

# The mynetworks parameter specifies the list of networks that are
# local to this machine.  The list is used by the anti-UCE software
# to distinguish local clients from strangers. See permit_mynetworks
# and smtpd_recipient_restrictions in the file sample-smtpd.cf file.
#
# The default is a list of all networks attached to the machine:  a
# complete class A network (X.0.0.0/8), a complete class B network
# (X.X.0.0/16), and so on. If you want stricter control, specify a
# list of network/mask patterns, where the mask specifies the number
# of bits in the network part of a host address. You can also specify
# the absolute pathname of a pattern file instead of listing the
# patterns here.
#
#mynetworks = 168.100.189.0/28, 127.0.0.0/8
#mynetworks = $config_directory/mynetworks
#mynetworks = 192.168.0.2

# SHOW SOFTWARE VERSION OR NOT
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version)
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (Linux-Mandrake)

# PARALLEL DELIVERY TO THE SAME DESTINATION
#
# Each message delivery transport has its XXX_destination_concurrency_limit
# parameter.  The default is $default_destination_concurrency_limit.

local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2

# DEBUGGING CONTROL
debug_peer_level = 2
# debug_peer_list = 127.0.0.1
# debug_peer_list = some.domain
debugger_command =
	 PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
	 xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

--

Neil Williams