[LUG] email across a LAN

This may sound really daft, but I can't seem to send email across the LAN.
I'm not thinking of fetchmail, I'm thinking of how to use Postfix and the
mail command line program to send email from one linux box to another on the
local network.

The machines:
linux.codehelp (server)
mandrake.codehelp (workstation)
fergus.codehelp (laptop)

Server and workstation run Mandrake 7.2, laptop Mandrake 8.0

So if I'm logged in on the server and I want to send email from
linux.codehelp to the laptop, fergus, why doesn't:
[neil@xxxxx] mail neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
work?

I get a 'message undeliverable' bounce from Postfix.

Do I need to configure Postfix to recognise the hosts on the LAN?
(separately from the hosts file used by other programs) and, if so, how?
(I tried to understand Postfix using the Webmin interface, but it really
didn't make much sense.)

Sending mail to other users on the same machine is fine, but email between
machines just seems to vanish, reappearing as a bounce quite a long time
later, if at all. The most recent test just seems to have disappeared
completely.

--

Neil Williams