Re: [LUG] Linux Clusters!!!!

On Thursday 03 May 2001 16:59, you wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > On the side of Data Mirroring:
> >
> >          OpenAFS from IBM if the best scalable system, this is the bells
> > and whistles option
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> do you know of a good overview of what OpenAFS does?
I never used this IBM solution, as it was a larger, more complex
then what I was after.

OpenAFS is I guess abit like NFS, but NFS is less secure than
even SMB. OpenAFS has a more sophisticated authentication
layer that can use kerberos.

The major difference from NFS is that NFS works at the file level,
where as OpenAFS is a working at mirroring the filesystem ( At the
block device level ).

OpenAFS is the right solution for a cluster, as it has all the mechanisms
in place for file sharing and disconnection resync'n. When I was experimenting
with OpenAFS, I failed to get the authentication system working so left it alone
But it is a beautiful system.