[LUG] Laptops anyone?

Just stuck Linux on my Laptop (Acer Travelmate 200DX) despite the
wonderfully helpful ACER web site that says 'We recommend Windows 98'
(Did they think before writing that I wonder).

Anyway I have a vaguely working Linux box, have got kernel to 2.2.17 (I
seem to have misplaced my download of 18 in case your wondering why not
18).

The wireless networking works (So I can get stuff from the Internet at
about 64kbps).

Dual boot and access to the DOS partition is great.

XF86 works with an external monitor (Better than my usual Linux desktop
- don't you hate that).

However I can't perusade it to play ball with the laptops own display.
Mostly I get either grey, or flashing stripeyness.....

Redhat 6.1 3.3.5 keeps diagnosing it as some sort of ATI Mach64 adaptor,
but I get the feeling that acceleration is not possible. I tried 4.0 and
it does exactly the same. I may try 3.3.6 as I have good experiences
with 3.3.6....

The XF86 web site says try the commercial adaptors or try specifying but
an Internal and External settings in XF86Config (But is a bit vague on
how to do this).

Any pointers welcome.

	Simon

PS: I used GNU parted to shrink the Win98 partition down on this, my
first use of 'parted' and whilst it isn't the best GUI in the world, I
was impressed. Wrote a Linux boot disk with rawrite and floppy from the
Linux Magazine cover CD, booted and typed "parted /dev/hda" "resize 1
0.31 2000" and my Windows98 partition was 2Gb not 3.7Gb without losing
any data and very quickly. The bootable floppy has all those useful
filesystem commands as well in the image.

--
Business http://www.eighth-layer.com/
Personal http://www.wretched.demon.co.uk/