Re: [LUG] Laptops anyone?

Hi Simon,

I've been 'lurking' on the lug-list for a while, so thought I'd come out of the woodwork
on this one ... I've been running Debian on an ancient and venerable IBM ThinkPad 560 for
about three years (just upgraded to a 2.4 kernel).

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 17:01:21 +0000 Simon Waters <Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Just stuck Linux on my Laptop (Acer Travelmate 200DX) despite the...

There's a few useful web pages dedicated to linux laptops, try:

    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
    http://mobilix.org/Mobile-Guide.db/Mobile-Guide.html

And specifically for the Travelmate 200 series:

    http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~steve/travelmate/

X is always a pig to set up on laptops; it's usually easiest to find someone who's done
it already on your make/model and steal their Xconfig...

The other thing that I found messy was suspend/hibernate, but that's because ThinkPads
are a bit non-standard on that front, I think. It took a lot of tinkering to get it
working, but now it's far more stable than the windows suspend/hibernate ;-) Support for
laptops has steadily improved over the last few years.

Good luck, and keep persevering!

Gary