[LUG]Re: New to Plymouth

Hey,

On Sunday, April 14th, 2024 at 11:17 PM, Dom (shymega) Rodriguez
<shymega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've recently moved to IRCCloud, because I wanted to downsize the attack service
> on my NixOS ARM server, but this page for ZNC might be of use to you.
>
> https://wiki.znc.in/Providers

Thanks, I might just run ZNC in docker and it should be fine :)

> > Sorry :| Still learning all those things, even if they're older than me haha
> > My first communication service was a Polish version of MySpace, so yeah haha
> > Haven't used IRC or this, I've only learned about usenet a year ago (not using
> > it for discussions though :P). It's difficult since there isn't a “guide” or
> > anything. Hell, I was confused about how to reply at first, “do I just reply
> > to the email?” haha
>
> You don't need to apologise. It's very old mailing list etiquette. It's also
> best to reply in plain text (text/plain MIME type), and wrap to say, 70 chars.
> Obviously, I'm not expecting you to become an expert overnight!

I expect to be an expert overnight. I have to master everything haha
Perfectionist mind is taking over.

Proton says it's plain text, not sure if that's true :P

> Funny you should mention USENET. I am toying with the idea of a proxy NNTP
> bridge for various services, like Reddit/Lobste.rs, Discourse forums,
> GitHub/GitLab, etc. So you would run it on `localhost`, and interact with
> services purely over NNTP/email.

That sounds cool. I'm doing a similar thing, but with RSS
aggregator running on my server (old PC). Then I just read
everything on my phone in one place :)

> I don't actually live in Devon, but worked with Paul & Michael E on various
> tech projects. I'm sure that the others will welcome you more than I can.

That's a shame. Seems like a few people are like that. How many
people actually live in or near Plymouth here?

Just a FYI, because I now realise I might come across as younger
than I am haha I will be 24 this year :)

Jake