[LUG]Re: New to Plymouth

Hey,

On 14.04.2024 20:38, Kuba Kaszczuk via list wrote:
Hi Dom!

On Sunday, April 14th, 2024 at 7:52 PM, Dom (shymega) Rodriguez
<shymega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

IRC is a fairly simple protocol, but it's important to remember
it's ephermal, meaning you only see what happens
when you're connected to the channel/server.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem, I can't be on all the time. Unless you have
something I can host on my server which would go 24/7 basically.

I've recently moved to IRCCloud, because I wanted to downsize the attack service on
my NixOS ARM server, but this page for ZNC might be of use to you.

https://wiki.znc.in/Providers

Obviously there's constraints about privacy, security, and payment methods, and
you may want to check with your guardians, but those services could work. YMMV.

It's a darn shame Libera terminated the Matrix bridge.

I've tried to connect through Matrix, but it would not load for the life of
it. I guess that's why haha

I was using it for the Input Leap project frequently, and yeah, it's a shame.

Also, heads-up as you're new to the group: best to go with inline-posting, or
bottom-posting. It makes tracking discussions much easier!

Sorry :| Still learning all those things, even if they're older than me haha
My first communication service was a Polish version of MySpace, so yeah haha
Haven't used IRC or this, I've only learned about usenet a year ago (not using
it for discussions though :P). It's difficult since there isn't a “guide” or
anything. Hell, I was confused about how to reply at first, “do I just reply
to the email?” haha

You don't need to apologise. It's very old mailing list etiquette. It's also
best to reply in plain text (text/plain MIME type), and wrap to say, 70 chars.
Obviously, I'm not expecting you to become an expert overnight!

Funny you should mention USENET. I am toying with the idea of a proxy NNTP
bridge for various services, like Reddit/Lobste.rs, Discourse forums,
GitHub/GitLab, etc. So you would run it on `localhost`, and interact with
services purely over NNTP/email.

But I hope this one reads a bit better than the previous ones :)

It does! Well done :)

I'm still not sure how Mailman keep track of the threads, though. Is there
something I need to keep in the email (like the previous conversations) or
does it do it through date and time, I don't know.

It uses various email headers in the envelope, so it's important to reply to
the Mailman address, I typically use Neomutt and hit 'L' on the email which
does it correctly.
IMHO, it's best not to do 'reply all', and only reply to Mailman, because the
email will be distributed to everyone in the list anyway, so replying to all
just duplicates it.
(If anyone in the group has other opinions, feel free to share!)

I don't actually live in Devon, but worked with Paul & Michael E on various
tech projects. I'm sure that the others will welcome you more than I can.

Thanks,
Jake

> On Saturday, April 13th, 2024 at 9:51 PM, Paul Sutton via list list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> > Hi Jake
> >
> > Welcome to the group, the Plymouth meets are still happening, I am down
> > in Paignton so don't get to Plymouth. I am sure you're more than
> > welcome at the meetings.
> >
> > I am usually on irc as zleap, I think we have or did bridge to Matrix too.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Paul (Paignton)
> >
> > On 13/04/2024 21:45, Kuba Kaszczuk via list wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone!
> > >
> > > I'm Jake, and I've only recently moved to Plymouth. I want to meet some
> > > new people, and maybe finally some people that are also interested in
> > > Linux related stuff. It's not really that easy to find anyone locally, haha.
> > >
> > > I skimmed through the archive and I have a feeling I would be the
> > > youngest person here (especially seeing you use mailing lists and IRC haha).
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if the monthly Moments Café meetups are still happening?
> > > I'd be eager to hang out :)
> > >
> > > Nice to meet you all,
> > > Jake
> >
> > --
> > Paul Sutton, Cert Cont Sci (Open)
> > https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/
> > Mastodon : @zleap@xxxxxxxx
> >
> > --

Best wishes,
--
Dom Rodriguez
GPG Fingerprint: EB0D 45E6 D0DC 1BA1 A2B5 FC24 72DC F123 1E54 BD43