Re: [LUG] Appy stuff

Dear Mark,

>> Dart includes tracking in the *compiler*!
>
> Do you have a reference? I couldn't find anything on this topic with a
> quick search

I can't say for sure whether it does actually have tracking code in the
compiler (there is a lot code to look through!), but what I can confirm
is that, upon starting Dart for the first time, it requires you to agree
to a privacy policy that allows Google to collect such information.

They can already do data collection in Go, as they control the main
package metadata proxy[1], but in that case, it definitely does do
tracking by default and I can definitely turn it off! Debian do this for
a different reason than for privacy; they disable the metadata proxy to
be sure that their packages build reproducibly without the help of
external services.

I do feel somewhat uncomfortable with being led to accept Google's
privacy policy to use Dart though - this attitude towards developers has
somewhat put me off Dart/Flutter for now, although I am certainly
impressed by Flutter as a user interface framework.

However, both Dart and Go are entirely open source, so any such tracking
facility would hopefully be removed in forks or distributions if it was
found (as has happened with Visual Studio Code, which has been forked
into a project called VSCodium).

Best wishes,

Sebastian

[1]: https://golang.org/ref/mod#private-module-privacy