Re: [LUG] Scammer's Attitude

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:

> On 18/06/2021 08:26, Neil wrote:
> >>
> >> This is most important!
> >> I fully concur.
> >> I had unknown numbers / number withheld blocked at my phone provider.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately when we went to lockdown, and my wife was in considerable
> >> intercourse with HMG and HMRC they has set up ALL persons working from
> >> home as all dialling out from withheld numbers.
> >> Result no incoming HMG (FCO for me, HMRC for wife) calls received.
> >> Local government did the same, to hide their staff's own home phone
> >> numbers.
> >>
> >> Likewise our local surgery has all locums calling out on number withheld
> >> numbers.
> >>
> >> Yes, this way you injure yourself financially, medically, and hurt your
> >> foreign correspondents.
> >>
> >> But and I vouch for this blocking number withheld does not stop the
> >> scammers.
> >>
> > Thanks for all that useful information. Incidently, I must be well out
> > of favour with the scammers. So far this year we have had just one
> > scam phone call where there was a (recorded?) voice on the other end.
> > Other wise, just occasionally, we get one that has only silence to
> > listen to. Don't get many of those either, perhaps four or five so far
> > this year.
> >
> > I really am feeling neglected,
> >
> Yes, rather interesting - I have never, ever, received a scam call. I
> have a land line (well a SIP number which is geographical), and it never
> even rings - I just rang it myself from my mobile in case it wasn't
> working and it is functional, but for some reason scammers must avoid my
> block of numbers.

I get a fair few spam calls on my mobile. Mostly from HMRC saying I have 'committed
tax fraud' in a TTS voice. I had one recently (TTS voice, again) saying 'This is the
Internet Banking service from [YOUR BANK]', which made me laugh - very lazy!

Unfortunately, I have a lot of calls from withheld numbers, NHS in particular for
example, or unknown numbers [to me], so I tend to ignore phone calls and ring back
if the caller leaves a voicemail...

I [stupidly] had my mobile linked to my FB account (yes, I know, but my friends are
on there, and they won't use anything else), and since the data leak[0], incoming
spam calls have certainly increased...

*sigh*

[0]: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56745734

--