Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

I've been following this thread with interest. The underlying question
is invariably that it depends on what she wants to do with it.

The minute you say "browse", for example, the answer is simplified.
I've tried 4GB machines with linux, with Windows 10, with android, and
if you go beyond a dozen tabs or a day's browsing you slow to a crawl.
It's not a processor issue, it's a memory issue. If anyone here has
had a better experience on 4GB I'd be interested in a description.
I've tried the HP Stream with linux and with Windows 10, and the
Lenovo s130, and the Geo, and the memory is the eventual limitation
with any browser I tried. The session starts out fine and eventually
it goes downhill. I would imagine that if you stick to one or two tabs
and check a page or two every hour you could manage fine but it's a
big restraint.

Has anyone used a Chromebook and not had this experience? Maybe they
can but I can't see how.

I can think of two cheapest approaches to avoid the memory limitation.

The Raspberry Pi-4 with 8GB holds up indefinitely. I don't think you
could turn it into a laptop easily but that extra memory makes it
problem-free for browsing all day.

Or, in laptop terms, you might be willing to buy off eBay if a
laptop's still in original manufacturer warranty, much like you might
buy a car - the big depreciation from new has already happened. I'd
buy fanless so the laptop will keep running past the point where dust
would make the machine hot and noisy - cleaning fans in a laptop is
not nice. I've set up two fanless laptops this year for £400 and £480,
both 16GB FHD, a Thinkpad A285 and a Dell Latitude 7370, both under a
year old. No moving parts. I don't need a lot of processor or GPU. For
the one I use I keep the windows 10 M.2 drive in a drawer and run a
linux M.2 which works in most machines if I need options. I don't
think you'd get a new 8GB laptop for less than that, and I don't think
a laptop less than 8GB is a good buy.