Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

On 29/09/2020 18:32, John PNZ wrote:
I've tried 4GB machines with linux, with Windows 10, with android, and
if you go beyond a dozen tabs or a day's browsing you slow to a crawl.
It's not a processor issue, it's a memory issue.

Counterpoint: it's not a memory issue, it's a user issue.

If anyone here has had a better experience on 4GB I'd be interested in a description.

Literally everyone does - I've had and still have thousands of users with 4Gb (or less) RAM machines doing actual work all day long.

If a random user rocks up and tells me in all seriousness that their casual daily web browsing habits with just a few tabs open is too much for their standard computer - which everyone else is doing much more than that on without the same problems - then I'd start trying to figure out what that user is doing so differently. Because it's definitely you I'm afraid.

Please note I don't doubt you for a second, that would seem a bit unfair! I'd take you at face value but there must be something that you're doing very differently to everyone else. Any ideas? Are you streaming a lot of content or keeping multiple in-browser games or video tabs open? 600 page PDFs in the built-in reader?

Maybe something else - what browsers are causing this? Do you install specific plugins or extensions or do anything else non-standard? The answer is in your habits or working methods because all things being equal and taking the opportunity to dust off an old meme:

4194304K OUGHT TO BE ENOUGH FOR ANYBODY