Re: [LUG] Tomorrow: online Vim conference

On 07/09/2020 13:58, Sebastian wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Vimconf 2020 has finished and I must add I thoroughly enjoyed it. There
> were many interesting talks; all of them are going to be uploaded to
> Youtube for anyone to watch after the event - as I write this, one has
> just been uploaded.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPK_UHtbfcWABCi0F0GPG6w/videos
>
> There seem to be some others that have been uploaded independently on
> the speakers' own channels.
>
> I imagine there was something in this for everyone but here are a few
> that I think were highlights:
>
> https://youtu.be/bq0AksG6-S4 - about the Language Server Protocol, a
> system designed so that there can be features like jumping to
> definitions and static type analysis built into editors, but without the
> need to reimplement these for every different editor. NeoVim now has
> in-built LSP support.
>
> https://youtu.be/EJqnWXDJZr0 - a very fun talk comparing music to Vim,
> how musical-style practice can apply to text editing and a creative
> example of playing MIDI inside Vim with Telnet and a Python script!
>
> https://youtu.be/QQVaiztPzxQ - a talk about an effective way of learning
> Vim - Vim has a reputation for being complicated but the speaker
> explains a pragmatic way to improve.
>
> https://youtu.be/RZZhPgH1sAk - a talk about interactive Lisp evaluation
> and how this can be used to improve the software development workflow.
> It seems a bit like doing unit testing manually within Vim as part of
> the programming process.
>
> I hope these links may be of some interest to those who couldn't attend
> it live but are interested in efficient text editing.
>
> Best wishes, Sebastian
> Freenode: 'seabass'

Thank you for this, I have to admit I have never used Emacs or Vi or Vim.
Maybe it is  time to learn?
I will look at the tutorial video.

(20 odd years of paid work , of being 'forced into using 'MS products',
after we 'computerised' after  mastering a  German telex keyboard for
long distance  messages. The key clatter and mending of broken 8 hole
tape is a main memory; then the 'computers are down' periods of MS, so
resort again to telex, or later to Fax, especially for 'signature
documents' that might be needed in court.)

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald